SNORKELLING IN THE THERMAL WATERS OF KLEIFARVATN LAKE
Nature excursion, Swimming, Tasting
Snorkelling in a bubbling hot spring is a rare treat because temperatures are usually too high to allow entry into the water, but Kleifarvatn lake offers us this exclusive opportunity in a setting of unspoilt beauty.
What we will see
- Kleifarvatn lake
- Snorkelling in the thermal waters
- Snack on the beach
- Seltún geothermal field
- Reykjavík geothermal pools (optional)
What we will do
- We will arrive at Kleifarvatn lake, one of the deepest lakes in Iceland, nestled into a spectacular volcanic landscape just a 30-minute journey from Reykjavík.
- We will put wetsuits on on the banks of the lake and whilst we sink our toes into the black volcanic sand we will notice the smell of sulphur emitted by the hot springs in the depths of the lake, shrouded in a restorative silence that will makes us forget that civilisation is just around the corner.
- The geothermal springs in Kleifarvatn lake were only discovered recently and can be found 50 metres from the banks. We will enter the water and swim out into the lake, observing the sulphur deposits on the bed of the lake in shades of white and yellow.
- As we get closer to the springs, we will start to notice a change in the atmosphere around us due to the effect of the gas emitted by a very deep volcanic fissure. The sensation has been compared to swimming in a glass of champagne, and knowing that we are right in a caldera makes the experience even more incredible.
- Back on dry land, we will refuel with a snack on the beach while we continue to admire the spectacular scenery around us.
- Then we will head to Seltún geothermal field where we will enjoy a short excursion through the sulphur deposits, fumaroles, mud pits and hot springs that set the surrounding landscape alight with shades of red, yellow and green.
- Then we will return to Reykjavík and guests will have the option to stop at one of the local geothermal pools to relax in the hot water and end the day in true Icelandic style.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- This excursion is conducted in English.
- Do not forget to bring swimwear if you wish to stop at the geothermal pools in Reykjavík.
- Guests that choose to stop in Reykjavík must make their own way back to the ship.