THINGVELLIR AND LAVA CAVE EXPLORATION
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Drink included
We will discover Iceland's geological wonders above and beneath the earth's surface, visiting an extraordinary national park and venturing into the depths of a spectacular lava tunnel.
What we will see
- Thingvellir National Park
- Gjabakkahellir cave exploration
- Hot chocolate
What we will do
- We will leave the port and pass the ancient lava fields until we reach Thingvellir National Park, one of the country's most important historical sites boasting spectacular geological phenomena.
- Stretching out over the northern banks of Iceland's biggest lake, Lake Thingvallavatn, lies the plain that is home to the park that witnessed the establishment of the country's first parliament in the year 930, hence it is considered an almost sacred site.
- The wonderful canyon that cuts through the park is actually the contact point between two tectonic plates. It is thanks to its immeasurable geological interest and unique natural characteristics that the park was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2004.
- After our stop at Thingvellir, a short coach ride will take us to the entrance to Gjabakkahellir, an incredible lava cave that will offer us the exciting opportunity to explore the heart of the earth.
- Making our way through the awe-inspiring rock formations and ice sculptures, we will immerse ourselves in the subterranean world and literally touch traces of the island's turbulent volcanic activity.
- The excursion will engage all our senses as we walk, climb and grab onto rocky spurs. To restore our energy, we will stop briefly to drink a hot chocolate, a totally extraordinary experience.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Includes a helmet with a torch on the front.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Minimum age: 12 years.
- Comfortable walking or hiking shoes are recommended.