ICELAND'S NATURAL HERITAGE – THE PRESENT AND FUTURE
Sightseeing, Local Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Cultural, Tasting
A truly meaningful excursion. Not only will we visit some of Iceland's most extraordinary natural wonders, but by taking part in this tour we will be contributing to reforestation in the country thanks to the new trees that will be planted on behalf of every single participant.
What we will see
- Hveragerdi thermal baths and snack
- Ljósafoss hydroelectric power station
- Thingvellir National Park
- Hengill volcano
What we will do
- We will leave Reykjavík and start our tour of some of Iceland's natural wonders.
- We will know that we have added significant value as participating in this excursion contributes to Iceland's reforestation. A tree will be planted in our name to bring the forests that once covered the majority of the land back to life after being lost through use of the soil.
- We will reach the town of Hveragerdi, which lies on top of an ancient magma chamber and is famous for its greenhouses that are heated by geothermal energy from the sources of boiling water nearby where hot rivers flow.
- A short walk will take us to this unusual site where we will be served a snack before continuing our journey.
- We will travel alongside the river Sogid and cross Ljósafoss hydroelectric power station, which dominates the river and has been operational since 1937.
- Our next destination will be Thingvellir National Park, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its immeasurable geological interest and unique natural characteristics formed by the meeting of two tectonic plates.
- We will stop at a viewpoint and admire the land that witnessed the establishment of the country's first parliament in the year 930, hence it is considered an almost sacred site.
- We will then head towards Hengill volcano and stop at a viewpoint on its slopes where we can take in vistas of the countless bubbling sulphur springs, fumaroles and mystical pools of water.
- Then we will return to Reykjavík passing surreal scenery reminiscent of lunar landscapes, created by the powerful volcanic phenomena that affect the island.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- This excursion is conducted in English.* All stretches on foot are optional and the majority of sites are visible from the coach windows.
- This excursion includes stretches on foot on sloping ground with ice, mud and grass.
- The tour is suitable for people with mobility problems as long as they are assisted by a companion.
- We recommend wearing warm clothing and layers, and closed shoes with non-slip soles.
- The temperature in the geothermal area is very high. We recommend not getting close to the springs.