ITALY'S HIDDEN TREASURES - ORVIETO
This excursion offers us the chance to discover beautiful Orvieto with absolute freedom to choose what we'd like to do most. We can visit historic monuments, take in the views, enjoy a walk and admire the old buildings or do some shopping.
What we will see
- Inland sightseeing tour
- Free time in Orvieto
- Cathedral and papal palaces
- Underground Orvieto
- Walking and shopping
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Civitavecchia and begin a picturesque sightseeing tour of inland Lazio whilst we travel to Umbria.
- Our destination is Orvieto, one of the oldest cities in Italy. Its origins date back to Etruscan civilisation and it lies on a tufa rock cliff jutting out 50 metres from the valley's plain.
- When we reach our destination, our guide will give us a map of the city and we will be free to explore Orvieto for half a day, choosing what to visit and when.
- Definitely worth a visit is the Duomo or cathedral, a colourful example of Roman-Gothic architecture boasting a varied collection of works of art, and also the *papal palaces, one of which is home to the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo museum.
- For those who love more unusual experiences, don't miss out on a fascinating tour of underground Orvieto, created over the course of approximately 2,500 years by its ancient inhabitants and featuring uninterrupted excavations dotted with wells, caves and indescribably intriguing settings.
- Orvieto is also a lovely place to stroll around the shops, passing elegant buildings and charming streets which open up every now and then to reveal breathtaking views of the surrounding valley.
- After our free time, we will gather at the meeting point to return to the ship by coach.
What you need to know
- This excursion does not include a guide, but we will have the assistance of a local rep.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- The cost of food and entrance tickets to tourist sites is not included in the price of the excursion.