ITALY'S HIDDEN TREASURES - CIVITA DI BAGNOREGIO
We will head inland to visit a place with a truly unique atmosphere: Civita di Bagnoregio. The "City of the Dead" was built on a small rocky spur, challenging the force of nature.
What we will see
- Civitavecchia inland
- Civita di Bagnoregio
- Walking tour of the citadel
- Breathtaking views of the ravines and valley
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Civitavecchia with its hustle and bustle of people, ships and cars and head inland to the countryside, where peace and tranquillity abound.
- Our destination is a truly unique village: Civita di Bagnoregio, which will appear before our eyes, perched precariously on a rocky spur.
- We will get off the coach near the only access point: a long, pedestrianised bridge made from reinforced concrete, built to benefit the few remaining residents and the tourists that come to visit the citadel from all over the world.
- That is how we will enter this attractive Medieval town, known as "the City of Death" due to the gradual erosion of the tufa foundations on which it was built.
- We will walk around the tiny centre where time seems to have stood still, treating us to a truly surreal and unforgettable atmosphere, with little stone houses adorned with flowers and lookout points offering breathtaking views of the enormous clay walls that support the city and views of the surrounding valley.
What you need to know
- The tour does not provide a guide, a local escort will speak in English and Italian.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
The journey takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes each way.
On arrival in Bagnoregio there will be a shuttle bus that will bring you to the old city center, each way takes approx. 30 minutes.
Please note that the local administration of the village offers the opportunity to buy a tourist package directly on site. This is according to the availability of the local public association and for which, we ask you to refer to the staff assigned to the arrival in the village.
The local escort on board the bus will give general information on the place and information on how to take advantage of the package provided by the local public association in the village.