ITALY'S HIDDEN TREASURES - SALEMI
A pleasant walk around a hidden gem, the town of Salemi, considered one of the most beautiful towns in Italy thanks to its attractive ancient streets and majestic castle.
What we will see
- Belice Valley
- Norman castle
- Piazza Alicia and Chiesa Madre
- Church and College of the Jesuits
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Palermo and head towards Belice Valley, considered one of the most beautiful places in Sicily thanks to its endless countryside, rolling hills, vineyards and ancient villages dotted across the region.
- Our destination is Salemi old town, nestled 500 metres above sea level in a hub of narrow streets, picturesque squares, churches and noble residences.
- We will admire the Norman Castle (from the outside), built on the top of the hill, acting as an open-air museum where we can enjoy a pleasant stroll far away from the chaotic traffic.
- Wandering along the ancient alleyways, we will reach Piazza Alicia, in the heart of the old town, which is overlooked by the moving remains of the Chiesa Madre or 'Mother Church', which was severely damaged by an earthquake in 1968.
- Slightly further on we will come across the former College of the Jesuits, a stark 15th-century building that is today home to the Civic Museum, and next to it, the Church of the Jesuits with its beautiful Baroque façade embellished by a portal with tufa columns (external visits).
What you need to know
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The journey takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes each way.
- Guests may visit churches, museums and other attractions with paid entry at their discretion.
- Please note that the local administration of the village offers the opportunity to buy a tourist package directly on site. This is according to the availability of the local public association and for which, we ask you to refer to the staff assigned to the arrival in the village. The local escort on board the bus will give general information on the place and information on how to take advantage of the package provided by the local public association in the village.