ITALY'S HIDDEN TREASURES - SALEMI
A pleasant walk around a hidden gem, the town of Salemi, considered one of the most beautiful towns in Italy thanks to its attractive ancient streets and majestic castle.
What we will see
- Belice Valley
- Historic center: Piazza Libertà, Via Giovanni Amendola, City Hall
- Chiesa Madre, Church and College of the Jesuits
- Norman castle (external visit)
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Palermo and head towards Belice Valley, considered one of the most beautiful places in Sicily thanks to its endless countryside, rolling hills, vineyards and ancient villages dotted across the region.
- Our destination is Salemi old town, nestled 500 metres above sea level in a hub of narrow streets, picturesque squares, churches and noble residences.
- Wandering along the ancient alleyways, in the heart of the old town, we admire Piazza Libertà,Via Giovanni Amendola and the City Hall.
- We contemplate the moving remains of the Chiesa Madre or "Mother Church", which was severely damaged by an earthquake in 1968, and slightly further on we will come across the former College of the Jesuits, a stark 15th-century building that is today home to the Civic Museum, and next to it, the Church of the Jesuits with its beautiful Baroque façade embellished by a portal with tufa columns.
- We will admire the Norman Castle, built on the top of the hill: a truly open-air museum.
What you need to know
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The journey takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes each way.