PALMERAIE DE L'IVONDRO: NATURE AND PRODUCTS OF MADAGASCAR
Let’s discover Palmeraie de l’Ivondro, a large, impressive palm oil plantation amidst green hills and relaxing panoramas. We’ll take a tour of the palm oil factory, enjoy a buffet of fruit and browse the local products at the Bazary Be in Tamatave.
What we will see
- Palmeraie de l'Ivondro
- Typical workers’ village
- Tour of the palm oil factory
- Buffet of fruit and fruit juices
- Tamatave: a visit to the Bazary Be
What we will do
- We leave the port on board our coach and travel south to the Palmeraie de l’Ivondro, an agritourism site dedicated to the cultivation of oil palm trees and stretching over 3,000 hectares.
- Inside the estate, we’ll tour a typical workers’ village, set amidst thousands of waving palms, perfectly aligned along the banks of the River Ivondro.
- Green hills roll before our eyes and outline a peaceful, relaxing landscape, livened by the passing of a historic train that still runs: we’ll see it marching along the tracks loaded with goods, fruit and other products for nearby regions.
- Our tour takes us round the palm oil factory where old, perfectly functioning machinery extracts the oil, part of which is exported and part used to make soap.
- At the end of our tour, we’ll enjoy a refreshing abundant buffet of fruit and juices, before leaving a bit of time for shopping with the chance to purchase spices and craft products.
- Then we’ll return to Tamatave, we’ll stop at the Bazary Be, literally the "grand bazaar", the city's main market, where we can admire and purchase all sorts of spices and medicinal herbs, as well as typical, local craft items, before returning to the ship.
What you need to know
- We recommend you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- The vehicles used in this excursion may be small and without air-conditioning.
- Do not forget to bring insect repellent with you.
- Itinerary sequence may vary.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.