SAVING SEA TURTLES
This excursion off the usual tourist circuit is perfect to experience an authentic thrilling experience in direct contact with nature: we will work alongside a team of biologists who work to protect sea turtles by rescuing a few of the ones who cannot make it on their own once the eggs have hatched.
What we will see
- Meeting the sea turtle rescue team
- Eggs hatching on the beach
- Rescuing the weaker turtles
What we will do
- We leave the ship behind us to embark on a truly unforgettable adventure: rescuing the newly-hatched sea turtles that are not able to reach the sea on their own!
- We are welcomed by a member of the team of biologists who run the sea turtle rescuing programme and, during an interesting briefing, we learn more about the life of these amazing animals and the efforts made to safeguard them.
- Thanks to the volunteers who take part in the programme, Cozumel has become a leading centre for sea turtle conservation and the number of nests on the island has increased considerably over the past few years, so much so that the density per square km is higher than anywhere else in Mexico with a ratio of 3 to 1!
- Protecting sea turtles is quite a complex task to which we will lend a hand by taking part in one of the many activities carried out by volunteers every day: we witness the eggs hatching on the beach in the late afternoon and help the 20% lacking the energy necessary to reach the sea.
- What a thrill it is to pick up a small turtle and help it survive with our own hands! The newly-hatched turtles are protected until their organs are strong enough to take them to their true home: the sea.
What you need to know
- This tour is only available between late July and early November
- Minimum age: 8 years.
- Pregnant women or people with cardiac or breathing problems are not allowed on this excursion.