EXPLORING CHIUFEN ON FOOT
Sightseeing, Shopping, Lunch not included
You’ll board an air-conditioned motorcoach at your pier that will transport you up along winding roads, through lush, rolling mountains, upon which wispy white clouds skim. Up, up you go, until Chiufen reveals itself with its closely-packed houses that cling to steep mountainsides facing the sea. Chiufen means “nine portions” in Mandarin and refers to a time when only nine families lived in this village during Ch’ing Dynasty.
Take a break from exploring to visit Chiufen Tea House, a traditional teahouse located in an historical building. Here you can relax and enjoy a pot of tea (oolong, anyone?) and a snack.
Enriched with beautiful views, architecture, souvenir shops and tasty local food stalls, Chiufen is an excellent, memorable destination to conclude your day ashore in Taiwan.
Please note: the order of visits may vary. This tour involves around 2 hours of walking. Chiufen is a hillside town with steep inclines and steps.
What we will see
• Scenic mountain tour
• Chiufen: stroll in the city centre
What we will do
• We get on an air-conditioned coach and embark on a scenic mountain tour along winding roads that climb slopes covered in lush vegetation where the odd cloud seems to have remained trapped.
• We reach the picturesque city of Chiufen, nestled between the mountains and perched on steep slopes overlooking the sea. Once a tiny village, Chiufen has evolved into a welcoming city that enchants visitors with its atmosphere after the gold rush of the late 1800s and the Japanese occupation of Taiwan.
• We go on a pleasant stroll around the centre where we find vintage Japanese-style cafés, tearooms, souvenir shops and stalls selling local delicacies.
• We stop by a traditional tearoom, the Chiufen Tea House set up in a historic building. Here, we can relax as we enjoy a cup of tea and a snack.
• We then head back to the port and to the ship.
What you need to know
• Itinerary sequence may vary. • This excursion involves approximately 2 hours of walking with steps and slopes.
There is limited availability of English-language guides.