THE SPLENDOUR AND WONDERS OF KOCHI CASTLE
Sightseeing, Cultural, Shopping, Lunch not included
Kochi’s glorious past comes back to life between the mighty walls of its splendid castle, dating back to the 17th century, and in the nearby museum guarding the precious heritage of works and artefacts highlighted by engaging interactive tools and fascinating high-tech displays. An enjoyable shopping break ends our excursion with a touch of modernity that never disappoints.
What we will see
- Visit to the imposing Kochi castle
- Visit to the adjacent history museum
- Hirome market: culinary specialities and arts and crafts
- Free time for shopping in the market
What we will do
- We will start our exploration with a visit to Kochi castle, the symbol of the city, which bears testament to its long history. Built from the 17th century onwards, it is one of 12 castles in Japan to have preserved its original structure from the Edo period and one of the few to have taken on the role of residence as well as defence.
- We will stroll through the park and admire the majestic buildings inside it, housing valuable artefacts and historic objects, imagining life in times gone by.
- Then we will enter the Kochi Castle Museum of History to admire the multitude of historical and artistic documents held inside. The use of interactive tools, high-tech displays and audiovisual devices makes the tour particularly engaging for both adults and children.
- Then we will move on to Hirome market, a short distance from the castle. Opened in 1998, it contains around 60 points of sale, stalls, souvenir shops and chemists , which promote Kochi’s culinary specialities and artistic culture.
- We will have some free time there for some shopping and to taste a few delicacies before we return to the ship.
What you need to know
- There is limited availability of guides that speak English and other European languages.