Katsuura Cave Hot Spring
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Lunch not included
"In this tour, your will visit locally famous hot spring as well as sightseeing Nachikatsuura Area. Kumano Nachi Taisha Grand Shrine is one of the three Kumano shrines, situated a few kilometers inland from the coastal hot spring resort of Katsuura. The shrine is part of a large complex of neighboring religious sites that exemplify the fusion of Buddhist and Shinto influences that is particular to the Kumano region.
Nachikatsuura measures about 180 sq. km. in area and is inhabited by an estimated total of 17,300 people. The area is famous for housing several shrines included in the Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Hotel Urashima is a central feature of Katsuura Onsen sitting prominently on the east side of Katsuura Bay on a rugged peninsula jutting out into the Pacific Ocean. Hot spring baths are scattered throughout the facility including the famous Bokido, a natural hot spring bath in a cave overlooking the ocean.
What we will see
- Lake Towada
- Lake cruise
- Oirase stream
- Panoramic stops and stroll along the banks of the stream
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us and head inland to Honshu, the main island on the Japanese archipelago, towards lake Towada, an authentic natural gem.
- The lake is located 400 metres above sea level and inside a large volcanic caldera whose edges rise along its banks for hundred of metres covered in thick lush forest that is reflected in the deep blue of its waters.
- The best way to explore the lake is to cross it: we board a boat to enjoy a pleasant cruise on the peaceful waters of Towada and to admire the amazing views which vary according to the season.
- Lake Towada generates a single waterway, the **picturesque Oirase stream which flows through in the gorge of the same name surrounded by forests that look as if they have been copied from a painting.
- During our tour, we make a few short stops to admire the loveliest views such as waterfalls filling the air with their gurgling and bubbling rapids that match the green of the forest so well.
- To better appreciate this spectacle of nature, we also take a delightfully pleasant and easy stroll along its banks.
- To top it all, our excursion also includes a typical Japanese fixed-menu lunch, the perfect end to an unforgettable day.
What you need to know
English & other European tour guides are subject to availability. ?