DISCOVER PORT LOUIS AND NORTH MAURITIUS
We explore Port Louis with an itinerary that takes us to the most enchanting places, then get out of the city to reach the northern tip of the island with a series of stops including a pleasant restaurant.
What we will see
- Church of Marie Reine de la Paix
- Sightseeing tour of the city centre
- Pamplemousses botanic garden
- Le Fangourin restaurant lunch
- Sugar cane museum
- Cap Malheureux
- Panoramic route along the coast
What we will do
- We start off our excursion at the church of Marie Reine de la Paix, an open-air sanctuary offering breathtaking views over the city of Port Louis, the capital of Mauritius.
- We continue with a sightseeing tour of the city centre taking in the Cathedral, the Theatre- the oldest in the region designed by the French architect Pierre Poujade and built in the 19th century under British governor Sir Robert Farquhar - the Jummah Mosque and Chinatown.
- We then head to the Pamplemousses botanical gardens, an unmissable stop for every visit to the northern area and the oldest botanical gardens in the southern hemisphere as they date back to 1735.
- When we start to feel peckish, it is time for lunch at Le Fangourin restaurant surrounded by tropical countryside.
- At the end of the lunch we will visit an old disused factory which has now become a sugar cane museum. A journey that tells us about the history of the island through the processing of sugar, from the colonial period to the present. Among ancient machinery and photos we will take a small dip in the past.
- We then reach Cap Malheureux, the northernmost tip of the Mauritius isles, an enchanted place with a picturesque red-roofed church overlooking endless landscapes that include the surrounding islands.
- After taking in the panorama of rare beauty, we head back to Port Louis along the northern coastal road and get another chance to admire spectacular views.