A POSTCARD FROM GOLDEN CIRCLE
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Packed lunch
All the variations of Iceland’s water spectacles: from the ocean off the Reykjavík coast, we reach the magnificent Gullfoss waterfall and move on to admire the powerful geysers surfacing from the depths of the earth.
What we will see
- Thingvellir National Park and photo stop
- Gullfoss waterfalls
- Geysir geothermal area
- Reykjavík city centre
What we will do
- We leave Reykjavík behind us on a coach that takes us to the Thingvellir National Park, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its immeasurable geological interest and unique natural characteristics formed by the meeting of two tectonic plates.
- We stop for photos and capture the spectacular Thingvellir, which means "Parliamentary Plains" and for centuries was the meeting place for the Icelandic parliament.
- We continue along the fertile cultivated lands along the souther coast of Iceland and reach the Gullfoss waterfall, also known as the "Queen of all Icelandic waterfalls" for its theatrical plays of light and two cascades into the tumultuous waters of the River Hvita which rushes past for around thirty metres, forming two successive waterfalls and providing a breathtaking spectacle.
- We then stop in the Geysir geothermal area, where we can admire the unique water and steam jets known as geysers, including Strokkur, one of the most famous in the island that erupts regularly every few minutes.
- Afterwards, we head back to the port passing by the town of Hveragerdi, which lies on top of an ancient magma chamber and is famous for its greenhouses, which are heated by geothermal energy from the sources of boiling water nearby where hot rivers flow.
- We cross the centre of Reykjavík to take a look at the world’s northernmost capital and return to the ship.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- There is limited availability of Italian speaking guides; if none are available, the excursion will be conducted in English.