CIUDADELA, THE PERFECT SPANISH PORT
We reach the charming Ciutadella, once capital of the island, and stroll around the historic city centre to discover its main monuments and most enchanting corners.
What we will see
- Stroll around the city
- Arab-Medieval city centre
- Plaça des Born
- Port and cathedral
What we will do
- We leave the port of Mahón and cross the island of Menorca to reach Ciutadella, a marvellous example of Spanish city and once capital of the island.
- The city's history starts well before Roman times and its architecture is a mix of Arab and Medieval elements.
- We explore this enchanting city with a stroll around the city centre among charming alleyways and streets flanked by elegant buildings owned by the island’s noble families.
- We venture into the old district, location of Plaça des Born, the old place-of-arms and city hub from which we can see the natural port and where there is an obelisk commemorating the Turkish attack on the city on 9th July 1558.
- We take in the unique port at the feet of the ancient walls and flanked by lovely white houses.
- We also admire the 15th-century cathedral, a magnificent building in the Catalan Gothic style with a Baroque façade built over a Mosque of which the remains of the former minaret and now bell tower can still be seen.
What you need to know
- The excursion includes walking on pebbled roads or over uneven terrain and includes some steps. Comfortable shoes and multiple layers of clothing are recommended.
- This tour is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.?