STROLLING THE ROOFS AND STREETS OF STOCKHOLM
An unparalleled adventure to admire Stockholm from an unusual point of view: we climb to the roof of an old palace and take a stroll among chimneys and dormer windows surrounded by breathtaking views. We end our excursion with a walk in the city centre to admire the city’s architectural sights up close.
What we will see
- Island of Riddarholmen
- Riddarholmen church and old parliament
- Tour of the palace roof
- Walk around the city centre
- Royal Palace
- Stortorget and Stock Exchange Palace
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us on a coach to reach the island of Riddarholmen, i.e. the Island of Knights, where we can admire the magnificent 18th century residences of the aristocratic families of the time after which the island was named.
- We admire the amazing façade and elaborate structure of the majestic Riddarholmen church, once burial ground of the Swedish monarchs, and stop at the old parliament building where the national assembly met until 1905 and where our adventure begins.
- We take the lift and climb up to the seventh floor, where we are given safety harnesses and helmets: we get on the roof 43 metres above ground and see Stockholm spreading out before our eyes.
- Our guide tells us interesting information on the history of Stockholm as, safely hooked to steel cables running along walkways, we walk around the chimneys of the large palace surrounded by spectacular views of the city impossible to enjoy elsewhere. A truly unique emotion!
- We get down and go on a guided walking tour of the old city or Gamla Stan between picturesque squares and characteristic cobbled alleyways winding between ancient and elegant buildings with Baroque doors.
- We find ourselves in front of the imposing Royal Palace, an amazing example of Baroque architecture and official residence of the Swedish monarchs.
- We cross Stortorget, the centre’s main square around which the city grew in the 1300s. It is home to the Stock Exchange Building, the headquarters of the Nobel Museum and the Swedish Academy, among others.
- After our walk, we bid farewell to Stockholm and its amazing city centre to head back to the ship.
What you need to know