AQUARIUM IN ÅLESUND AND MOUNT AKSLA
An exciting tour to discover Ålesund, a major Norwegian port with its history and typical Art Nouveau architecture, but also an unusual Aquarium with an infinite variety of marine fauna, all wrapped in a colourful, fairytale atmosphere with spectacular scenery.
What we will see
- Visit to the aquarium in Ålesund: marine fauna and habitat of Norway
- Art Nouveau architectural style in Ålesund
- Panoramic view of Mount Aksla
What we will do
- Let’s discover Ålesund, the largest town on the north-west coast of Norway, built on numerous islands extending into the ocean. The picturesque fishing port of Ålesund is one of the busiest in Norway, and is still acknowledged as the Norwegian capital of fish.
- A large part of the town was destroyed by the fire of 1904. It was rebuilt in the typical, twentieth century “Art Nouveau style”.
- It was the German Emperor William II, a great friend of the Norwegian kings, who used to spend his holidays in district of Sunnmøre, to actually send four ships laden with help for the town. The central nucleus was rebuilt in bricks and stone to restrict any further fires.
- Today, Ålesund has a population of about 40,000, although the town centre is relatively small and is easy to visit on foot.
- The main source of income of this lively town comes from the fishing and furniture industries.
- Our excursion will include a visit to the Norway’s, and indeed Europe’s unique Ålesund Aquarium.
- This water park is highly recommended for children from an educational point of view, as it reproduces the marine fauna and habitat of Norway and the climates of the north. A wide range of marine life is displayed in numerous, large tanks and there are also some tactile tanks where you can touch some harmless species of fish. Outside there are large seal and penguin tanks overlooking the islands off the shores of Ålesund.
- The largest tank contains 4 million litres of water and you can watch the sea life through a transparent, 18 m-long, 4 m-high and 26,5 cm-thick panel.
- On our return journey, you’ll have the opportunity to admire some of the sophisticated details of the Art Nouveau architecture and dive into the past, especially in the pedestrian area. We’ll continue towards the suburbs of Ålesund, with their fascinating wooden villas and carefully tended gardens, before we go up Mount Aksia. Along with the Fjellstua and Kniven viewpoints, Mount Aksla is one of Ålesund's biggest attractions. It boasts incredible views of the town, the charming, surrounding islands and the majestic Sunnmøre Alps.
- We’ll stop briefly to admire the splendid panorama towards the ocean and the numerous islands of the archipelago before ending our tour at the quayside.