A JOURNEY BACK IN TIME ON AN HISTORIC TRAIN TO SÓLLER
This excursion takes us back to the early years of the 20th century with a journey on a beautifully preserved period train, across the spectacular Serra de Tramuntana, to Sóller, a charming town offering a myriad of evocative scenes that we are free to explore at our own pace.
What we will see
- Journey on an historic train to Sóller
- Views of the Serra de Tramuntana
- Tunnels carved out of the rock
- The town of Sóller, with free time to explore
What we will do
- We make our way to the station and climb aboard the remarkable Ferrocarril de Sóller, a beautifully preserved, early electric train from 1912 with polished, wood-clad carriages, leather seats and overhead luggage racks.
- As the whistle sounds, we leave the station and make our way along the old railway line across the Serra de Tramuntana, a mountain range whose breathtaking collection of picturesque villages, ancient dry-stone terraces and splendid scenery have earned it the status of UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- As we roll past one olive grove and fruit orchard after another, the tunnels dug out of the solid rock, and the occasional bridges only serve to make our journey even more charming.
- We come at last to Sóller, a picturesque town that nestles among the mountains surrounded by splendid views, and a popular destination for visitors who come in search of peace and contemplation, drawn by the fresh air and the indefinable quality of the light.
- Having climbed down from the train, we have some free time to visit Sóller at our own pace, diving deep into the atmospheric streets to discover the town’s architectural gems, before making our way back to the ship by coach.
What you need to know
- Depending on the circumstances, the party may make the train journey in the opposite direction to the one described.
- To reach the platform at the station, participants will have to negotiate 28 steps.
- The train is not equipped to accommodate passengers in wheelchairs, and does not have on-board bathrooms, although there are bathroom facilities in the stations.
- The train ride lasts around 50-60 minutes.
- Participants will be required to walk for about 15 minutes from the centre of Sóller to reach the coach.