GAUDI’S BARCELONA BY SEGWAY (long itinerary)
We’ll be touring Barcelona on board a Segway that’ll take us to admire the extraordinary works of the Modernist architect, Antoni Gaudí, to whom the city owes much of its fame.
What we will see
- Arc de Triomf
- Segway tour in Gaudí’s footsteps
- Sagrada Familia
- Passeig de Gracia: Casa Milà and Casa Batlló
- Casa Fuster designed by Domènech i Montaner
- La Monumental
What we will do
- Our coach will take us from the port directly to the Arc de Triomf**, one of the city’s symbols, built for the 1888 Universal Exhibition as the main gateway to the fair.
- Time for a few, vital, safety instructions and then we’ll each be given our Segway, a fun electric vehicle, similar to a scooter, to wander around at leisure.
- Once you feel confident, we can set off to discover the city in the footsteps of Antoni Gaudí, the brilliant Catalan architect, who immortalised Barcelona with his marvellous works.
- Our Segways will glide us comfortably past his “Sagrada Familia”, the incredible Neo-Gothic church, the symbol par excellence of Catalan art, with its slender spires and exuberant façades that will take your breath away.
- We’ll continue along Barcelona's most famous shopping avenue, Passeig de Gracia, where the shop windows of major fashion designers alternate with masterpieces of Modernist architecture.
- You’ll be able to admire Casa Milà, best known by its nickname, La Pedrera. Gaudí’s most mature work, this building is a triumph of curved lines with undulating façades, chimneys that coil around one another and the rounded wrought iron railings. A little further on stands Casa Batlló, with its façade and roof covered entirely in glistening, multi-coloured scales.
- Barcelona is also home to the works of Gaudí’s distinguished colleagues belonging to the Modernist movement, including Casa Fuster, the final work of Domènech i Montaner, which features may of the architect’s characteristic elements, such as floral decorations or trefoil windows.
- Last of all, we pass opposite La Monumental, Barcelona’s, if not Spain’s, most famous plaza de toros, specially designed for the corrida.
- On our return, we’ll hand back our Segways and you’ll be free to return to our ship under your own steam.
What you need to know
- This excursion only has a few stretches on foot. However, it requires a good level of physical fitness.
- Minimum age: 16 years.