DISCOVERING OLYMPIC BARCELONA BY SEGWAY (short itinerary)
We’ll be touring Barcelona on board a Segway that’ll take us to admire the architectural buildings and infrastructures left by the 1992 Olympic Games, in honour of which an entire city district was transformed and regenerated.
What we will see
- Arc de Triomf
- Segway tour in the Olympic district
- Parc de la Ciutadella *Catalonia Parliament Building
- Olympic Port and Playa de la Nova Icaria
- Mapfre Tower and Hotel Arts
What we will do
- Our coach will take us from the port directly to the Arc de Triomf**, one of the city’s symbols, built for the 1888 Universal Exhibition as the main gateway to the fair.
- Time for a few, vital, safety instructions and then we’ll each be given our Segway, a fun electric vehicle, similar to a scooter, to wander around at leisure.
- Once you feel confident, we can set off to discover the city and its Olympic inheritance from the 1992 edition held in Barcelona, which left a considerable mark.
- Our Segways will take us comfortably to admire the lush vegetation of the famous Parc de la Ciutadella, built on the land of the old town fortress, and on past the imposing “Catalonia Parliament Building”, built in the 18th century as a military arsenal.
- We glide past the Olympic Port, constructed in the heart of the marine area for the 1992 games as part of the Olympic Village.
- Our route continues alongside the neighbouring beach of Playa de la Nova Icaria, beyond which lies the bright blue, sparkling Mediterranean Sea.
- We’ll ride along the sea front bordered by the beach and lush gardens, another legacy from the Olympic period, embellished with important buildings, such as the Mapfre Tower and the Hotel Arts, two of the city’s highest skyscrapers, in front of which towers the monumental sculpture of the “golden fish” by Frank Gehry, one of the greatest living architects.
- On our return, we’ll hand back our Segways and you’ll be free to return to our ship under your own steam.
What you need to know
- This excursion only has a few stretches on foot. However, it requires a good level of physical fitness.
- Minimum age: 16 years.