ART GALLERY IN KAMØYVÆR AND "NORTH CAPE CHRISTMAS AND WINTER HOUSE" IN SKARSVÅG
Sightseeing, Cultural, Shopping
A tour of the most northern region in the world, amidst fishing villages, colourful cottages and breathtaking landscapes, but also an excursion based on the Norwegian cultural and artistic tradition, with a visit to the Art Gallery "East of the Sun" and to the "North Cape Christmas and Winter House" for a full immersion in the unmistakeable Christmas atmosphere.
What we will see
- Skips Fjord with hotel, cottage and camp site
- Photographic stop at the village of Kamøyvær on the island of Magerøya
- Art Gallery "East of the Sun" of the artists Eva Schmutterer
- Village of Skarsvåg and North Cape Horn
- North Cape Christmas and Winter House
What we will do
- Our coach tour begins with a trip through the town of Honningsvåg which contests the title of the northernmost town in the world with Hammerfest and then continues along the Skips Fjord, a splendid fjord sprinkled with colourful cottages, hotels and camp sites
- We continue to Kamøyvær, the tiniest fishing village on the island of Magerøya with barely 100 residents.
- The village lies in a sheltered position and consists of bungalows and cottages painted in pastel shades. It boasts a fish processing factory, a small fleet of fishing boats, a lighthouse and a tiny, picturesque harbour.
- Before we continue our tour, we’ll have a brief photographic stop.
- We’ll also stop for a cultural visit to the Gallery East of the Sun which exhibits works of art and craft, and brightly painted canvases by the artists Eva Eva Schmutterer**, who loves to guide people personally around her exhibition and workshop.
- Among the works on show are some exotic pictures made with fish bones, jewels made of stone and glass and tiny models of reindeer all handmade.
- Back on the main road, we continue northwards towards Skarsvåg-krysset, only to leave it once again to reach the tiny fishing village of Skarsvåg, about 14 km from North Cape.
- We’ll stop at the panoramic viewpoint from where we can see North Cape Horn, a rocky formation once used as a place of worship for Sami sacrifices.
- We’ll stop in Skarsvåg, to visit the North Cape Christmas and Winter House**. We can immerse ourselves in the typical winter, Christmas atmosphere of northern Norway as the house is decorated with Christmas decorations. And that’s not all: you’ll be able to buy glasses, ceramics, postcards, photos and knitwear.