KAYAKING ON THE NIDELVA RIVER
Exploring the Nidelva River by kayak offers a unique perspective on the charms of the city of Trondheim, with its surprisingly pleasant combination of natural beauty and man-made architecture.
What we will see
- Kayaking on the Nidelva
- Wildlife and birdwatching
- Nidaros Cathedral
- Gamle Bybro – the Old Town Bridge
- Neighbourhood of Bakklandet
What we will do
- We make our way to the banks of the Nidelva River, which cuts through the city of Trondheim, flanked by houses, until it reaches the capacious fjord.
- Having reached the meeting point, we climb into our kayaks and set out to explore the course of the river and all of the natural and man-made wonders along the way.
- Paddling through the placid waters, we have the chance to spot the many species of bird that flock to the Nidelva, where they find rest and refuge in the thick vegetation that manages to find space among the man-made structures.
- Our position on the river offers unique views of Nidaros Cathedral, one of the most beautiful and imposing cathedrals in the Scandinavian peninsula and the best preserved Gothic building in Northern Europe.
- Our route takes us under the Nidelva’s historic Gamle Bybro bridge, whose red-painted railings and pediment-topped gates – to which the bridge’s distinctive chains are attached – cut a distinguished profile above the waters.
- Past the bridge stretches the picturesque neighbourhood of Bakklandet, where a line of restored warehouses stands on piles above the river, their bright colours reflected in the water.
What you need to know