PALERMO AND THE FLAVOURS OF SICILY: STREET FOOD
Palermo has been declared one of the best ten cities in the world for its street food: with this excursion dedicated to the delicacies of the Sicilian tradition, we discover a chapter of local history with each bite.
What we will see
- Kalsa district
- Tasting session of Sicilian fried food
- Ballarò market
- Tasting session of stuffed sardines
- Cathedral, Capo market, Teatro Massimo
- Tasting session of cannoli
What we will do
- Our excursion to discover Sicilian “street food” starts in the Kalsa district, built during Islamic rule and once a fortified city where the emir and his ministers lived.
- Strolling around the lively popular alleyways, we take in a unique Eastern atmosphere emphasised by monuments in the Arab-Norman style and stop to enjoy delicious Sicilian fried foods - panelle, arancini and crocchette truly delight our palates.
- We venture into the old city as far as Ballarò market, where we admire displays of juicy fruit, spices and fresh fish as our ears fill with expressions in the local dialect.
- We then seat in a typical local trattoria to enjoy the famous sarde a beccafico (stuffed sardines), a tasty dish that takes us straight to the heart of the Sicilian cuisine.
- Our itinerary continues to see some of the city's sights: we walk by the Cathedral, a charming combination of shapes and styles, cross the Capo market famous for its size and folklore, and admire Teatro Massimo, the largest opera theatre in Italy.
- We then make one last stop at the most famous café in Palermo where we try a sublime cannolo, the king of Sicilian traditional desserts and a perfect end to our excursion dedicated to food.
What you need to know