San Antonio/Santiago de Chile
THE COASTAL CITIES OF VALPARAÍSO AND VIÑA DEL MAR
We will visit the delightful coastal city of Valparaíso and the famous seaside resort of Viña del Mar, where we will fully immerse ourselves in Chilean archaeology on a visit to the Fonck Museum.
What we will see
- Inland sightseeing tour
- Valparaíso: El Plan area
- Plaza Sotomayor and Monument to the heroes of Iquique
- Los Cerros area
- Viña del Mar
- Flower clock
- Palace of Cerro Castillo and casino
- Visit to the Fonck Museum
What we will do
- We will leave San Antonio by coach and embark on an inland sightseeing tour, treating us to incredible views of the Andes and the lush vineyards of Casablanca Valley, the heart of Chile's wine producing tradition.
- We will head to beautiful Valparaíso, the administrative capital of the country, divided into two very different areas: the lower part of the city called "El Plan", adjacent to the port, and the higher part of the city in the hills, historically called "Los Cerros".
- We will admire Plaza Sotomayor. Once the seat of the first Chilean Stock Exchange, the square is now home to the Monument to the Heroes of Iquique, a sort of underground mausoleum commemorating the martyrs of Chile's naval wars.
- Crossing the business district with its elegant buildings overlooking the narrow streets along the bay, we will head up to the hills towards the other half of the city, the area known as "Los Cerros". It lies on a series of slopes, some of them steep, and is famous for its cable cars that run from the port up to the top and for its brightly coloured houses perched up high where elegant homes alternate with decrepit buildings in a kaleidoscope of colours.
- Then we will leave Valparaíso and head north along the coast to the charming coastal resort of Viña del Mar, also known as the Garden City thanks to its immaculate roads and lovely parks.
- As we enter the city, we can admire the famous flower clock, a working clock made of authentic corollas always in bloom and the symbol of Viña del Mar.
- We will pass the Palace of Cerro Castillo, where the president of the Republic spends the summer, and we will stop briefly at the historic casino, built in the thirties and surrounded by lush gardens.
- Finally, we will visit the Fonck Museum, where we can admire interesting archaeological findings from all over Chile and Easter Island, such as the authentic moai statue in front of the entrance, and a wonderful collection of silver Mapuche artefacts.
- After the visit, we will return to San Antonio where our ship will be waiting for us.
What you need to know