San Antonio/Santiago de Chile
EXPLORING SANTIAGO (ending at the airport)
Sightseeing, Cultural, Meal included
We will explore the city of Santiago, the capital of Chile, with its stark contrasts: reminders of its colonial past, ultra-modern buildings and a lot of green spaces. Its varied settings will amaze us, we will try Chilean food in a typical restaurant and we can buy arts and crafts at a quaint market.
What we will see
- Inland sightseeing tour
- City of Santiago
- Club Hípico horse racing track
- O'Higgins Park and Palacio Cousiño
- Plaza de Armas
- Bellavista district and San Cristóbal hill
- Los Dominicos arts and crafts market
- Lunch at a typical restaurant
What we will do
- We will leave the port by coach and enjoy an inland sightseeing tour, admiring the scenery that passes before our eyes.
- Then we will reach our destination: the city of Santiago, which lies in a valley surrounded by the snow-capped peaks of the Andes.
- We will head south towards the centre, passing Club Hípico, a historic racecourse founded in 1869 and beautifully preserved in the oldest residential area in the city.
- We will continue along past O'Higgins Park, the second largest green space in the city with 78 hectares of lush nature, and we will admire the superb Palacio Cousiño, built between 1870 and 1878 for an extremely wealthy family and an elegant example of the Second Empire style that brought Baroque elements back into fashion.
- We will cross Plaza de Armas, the city's charming main square brimming with monuments in the heart of the historic centre.
- We will travel along Santiago's vibrant main road and cross the river Mapocho to visit the Bohemian district of Bellavista, with its blend of period architecture, fashionable bars, thriving trees, art galleries and brightly coloured houses.
- Then our coach will climb up San Cristóbal hill so that we can admire breathtaking views of Santiago and the Andes.
- We will stop at Los Dominicos arts and crafts market, where we will find a teeming collection of little shops built like a small village. We will have time here to browse the products made from copper, wool, ceramics and lapis lazuli.
- If our tour of the city makes us a bit peckish, we won't need to worry because a delicious lunch in a typical restaurant is scheduled so that we can discover Chile's cuisine too.
- At the end of the excursion, in the late afternoon, we will head to Santiago airport and say goodbye to the fascinating Chilean landscape.
What you need to know
- This tour ends at the airport and is only available for guests leaving the ship.