DISCOVER CATANIA WITH TASTING SESSION
A stroll around the charming city centre of Catania as we take in some of its most significant artistic and historical monuments, with two breaks to enjoy traditional food perfect for those who love sweets as well as for those who prefer savoury food.
What we will see
- Porta Uzeda
- Saint Agatha Cathedral
- "Cuoppo” tasting session
- Terme Achilliane
- Badia di Sant'Agata dome
- Granita tasting session
- Piazza Stesicoro
- Fountain of Proserpine
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us and venture on a lovely walk that takes us to the heart of Catania, a stunning Baroque city at the centre of a vast plain between the Ionian Sea and the imposing figure of Mount Etna, Europe’s largest volcano.
- As we walk along the typical alleyways, we take in the Baroque splendour of Porta Uzeda, providing the backdrop to an unmissable photograph.
- We then continue to Piazza del Duomo, with its Cathedral of Saint Agatha, built during the Middle Ages and embellished over the centuries until it took on its current appearance during the 18th century.
- Once at the fish market, we enjoy a break with a tasting session of typical “cuoppo”, delicious fried fish served in a parcel.
- We then move on to the terme Achilliane, one of the most significant buildings dating back to Roman Imperial times in Catania. Discovered in the 18th century by the eminent Pince of Biscari, they are located beneath Piazza Duomo and are accessed through a narrow passage near the Cathedral façade. We embark on a journey through the centuries to Ancient Roman times!
- Afterwards, we climb up to see the Badia di Sant’Agata dome, where we can admire incredible views of the city.
- We climb down to enjoy a pleasant sampling of a refreshing granita in the best tradition of Sicilian cuisine.
- We cross Piazza Stesicoro, dominated by the 19th-century monument dedicated to local composer Vincenzo Bellini and by the remains of the Roman amphitheatre, only partly visible.
- We end our tour with the amazing Fountain of Proserpine, a monumental group of sculptures embellished with water features, before heading back to the ship.
What you need to know
- Itinerary sequence may vary.
- The excursion involves a lot of walking.