TAJ MAHAL: OVERLAND EXCURSION FROM GOA TO KOCHI (double room)
A unique opportunity to spend three days in the heart of the fascinating Indian subcontinent, discovering the wonders of this incredible country, including the impressive Taj Mahal.
What we will see
DAY 1 * Flight to New Delhi * Accommodation and dinner at a hotel DAY 2 * Train ride to Agra * Agra Fort * Lunch at a restaurant * Taj Mahal * Arts and crafts market * Return trip to New Delhi and dinner at the hotel DAY 3 * Flight to Kochi and return to the ship
What we will do
- We will leave our ship and head to the airport where we will catch a flight to New Delhi. We will be served a meal during the flight and we will land at 18:00 local time.
- Our rep will be waiting there to take us to the hotel where we will settle into our rooms before enjoying dinner in the hotel restaurant.
- The following day, we will have an early start (06:00) to ensure that we get to New Delhi train station on time, where we will be amazed by the flurry of passengers and people at all times of day.
- With a packed breakfast provided by the hotel, we will set off to the city of Agra at 08:00 on board the Gatimaan Express, currently the fastest train in India.
- In less than two hours we will reach the city of Agra in north India, where we will find majestic monuments dating back to the 16th and 17th century.
- Here we will visit the ruins of Agra Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which dates back to the 16th century. Its 2.5 km long red sandstone walls enclose the imperial city of the Mughal dynasty.
- When we start to feel peckish, we will stop for lunch at a local restaurant where we can relax and re-energise before the main event in the afternoon.
- After lunch, we will visit the monument that every tourist in the world should see at least once in their life: the Taj Mahal, universally renowned as a jewel of Islamic art and one of the seven wonders of the modern world.
- Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Taj Mahal has been considered the symbol of eternal love since 1632: it was commissioned by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal, who died after giving birth to their 14th child.
- This imposing white marble mausoleum holds the remains of the two spouses and is truly breath-taking thanks to its intricate carvings and delicate flower ornaments made of polychrome gemstones. It has four minarets at the corners and is surrounded by gardens and pools of water, in keeping with Islamic tradition.
- We will end the day with a stop at a local market where we can browse the items and souvenirs on display, looking for something special to take home, before we return to New Delhi and our hotel where dinner will be waiting for us.
- In the morning, after breakfast, we will leave the hotel by 10:00 and travel to the airport to catch a flight to Kochi (at 14:00). We will be served a meal during the flight.
- We will land at 17:30 local time, proceed through customs and board our ship docked in Kochi port.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- This excursion requires a minimum number of participants to operate. In the event that the excursion is cancelled, it may be possible to organise a private tour.
- The tour must be booked at least 30 days before the start of the cruise.
- In the event of cancellation, whatever the reason (including medical reasons with a medical certificate), the plane tickets and hotel booking fees included in the cost of the tour will not be reimbursed and will be charged to your bill.
- In order to take part in this excursion you must have your passport with you and a tourist visa to enter India, which will be required when boarding.
- Passports and personal belongings are your responsibility and must be kept safe and not left unattended during the entire excursion.
- During the visit to the Taj Mahal you will be provided with shoe covers to wear over your normal footwear.
- Sharp objects, cigarette lighters, video cameras and large bags are not permitted inside the Taj Mahal.
- Light meals will be served during the flights and train journeys.
- Should it be necessary to pay for the right to use cameras and/or video equipment, this is not included in the price of the excursion and must be paid in local currency (the tour guide can help you if you need to change currency).
- As this excursion is conducted mainly on foot, you are advised to wear comfortable shoes.
- The guide will join us in New Delhi, whereas during the journey from Goa to New Delhi and from there to Kochi you will be accompanied by an agency representative.