TOUR OF GOMERA BETWEEN MODERNITY AND TRADITION
Cultural, Shopping, Meal included
We explore the city of Doha with a tour that takes us to discover Qatar's ultramodern side and old traditions in an extraordinary combination of contrasts featuring art, culture, shopping and breathtaking views of the sea.
What we will see
- Museum of Islamic Art
- Souq Waqif
- Lunch in a souk eatery
- Dau excursion in the bay
What we will do
- Our excursion to discover the ancient and modern sides of Doha starts with a visit to the Museum of Islamic Art, a modern building that seems to hang over the sea and home to one of the leading Islamic art collections in the world: paintings and manuscripts, ceramics, fabrics, glass and metal objects, precious stones and jewellery from all corners of the Arab world.
- Our tour continues with a walk around Souq Waqif, the capital’s fascinating bazaar crossed by wide roads flanked by cafés and restaurants that, on the side roads, give way to a myriad of little shops where you can find truly anything: ceramic and fabric, spices, Arab sweets, candied fruit and traditional clothing as well as the classic souvenirs.
- After endless negotiations with the bazaar vendors, we enjoy a sumptuous lunch with international dishes in one of Souq Waqif’s eateries.
- We end the day with a dau excursion, the typical Arab vessel with one or more triangular sails used for centuries in the Red Sea, along the Persian Gulf and in the Indian Ocean and an integral part of Qatar’s maritime history and culture.
- As we sail along the waters of West Bay, we glide along Doha’s skyline admiring enchanting views of the city and gulf with the island of Al Safliya in the background.
What you need to know
- Your shoulders and knees must be covered in order to enter the Museum of Islamic Art.
- We recommend asking permission before taking photos of the local population and police forces.
- Camera tripods and flash photography are not permitted in the galleries.
- Comfortable clothing is recommended.