ABU DHABI: THE CAPITAL OF THE ARAB EMIRATES AMIDST TRADITION AND MODERNITY (ends at the airport)
A lively, cosmopolitan city, ultra-modern streets and skyscrapers, yet with a strong tradition: an excursion to discover the multi-faceted capital of the United Arab Emirates.
What we will see
- Al Ittihad Square
- Qasr Al Hosn exhibition centre
- Al Bateen District
- Presidential Palace
- Skyline from the Marina Café
- Wahat Al Karama
- Stop for photos of the Grand Mosque
What we will do
- Leaving the dock behind us, we begin our tour of Abu Dhabi, a city situated on a small peninsula surrounded by a tiny archipelago, founded in 1761 by the Bani Yas tribe. The name of the city, which means “father of the gazelle”, was chosen as a tribute to the legend which tells that it was a gazelle that led the first tribe in Abu Dhabi to a fresh water spring.
- Our first stop will be in Al Ittihad Square, whose name means "union" in Arabic, to take photos of the spectacular, white ivory monuments, including a large coffee-pot and an incense burner symbolising the renowned Arab hospitality and its centuries-old tradition.
- Our next stop will be the Qasr Al Hosn exhibition centre, the oldest stone building in Abu Dhabi dating back to 1760, home to the Al Nahyan family who once used to rule the city.
- We will continue our tour to the famous Al Bateen District, which is home to the Federal Bank of the United Arab Emirates and the Sheikh Zayed National Museum, as well as many official palaces including the Presidential Palace.
- After stopping for photos at the Marina Café, where we will have time to immortalise the spectacular Abu Dhabi skyline on camera, we will head to Wahat Al Karama, a memorial dedicated to the soldiers who died for their homeland, consisting of 31 imposing aluminium-plated plaques on top of each other.
- Then, before we head to the airport, we will make a final stop to take photos of the Grand Mosque.
What you need to know
- Due to the marked difference in temperature between the places we visit and our air-conditioned tour vehicles, we recommend taking a light cotton jumper or cardigan.
- Itinerary sequence may vary.
- This excursion is only available to guests whose flights depart after 20:30.