CHARM AND MAGIC OF AN ANCIENT TRIBAL VILLAGE
Ancient ruins filled with charm and mystery await us in the forest telling the stories of battles, ancestral rituals and century-old traditions. A restructured village then awaits us where the founder’s modern descendants welcome visitors with a lovely ceremony followed by the endless views from the top of Mount Maungaroa.
What we will see
- Ancient tribal settlement of Highland Paradise
- Spectacular views from Mount Maungaroa
- Traditional welcome ceremony (karakia)
- Tour of the site with expert local guides
- Exploring stone ruins in the forest
What we will do
- Our destination is an ancient tribal village now known as Highland Paradise located on Mount Maungaroa and offering extraordinary views over the island of Rarotonga.
- Once there, we are treated to a traditional welcoming ceremony known as karakia that immediately takes us back in time to an ancient world of rituals and magical beliefs.
- Together with expert guides who descend mainly from Tribal chief Tinomana, who founded the settlement, we explore the village and admire reconstructed dwellings, sacred places where prayer and human sacrifices used to be carried out, an underground oven and testimonies of everyday life.
- We leave the village behind us and venture on foot into the forest where archaeologists have found many stone ruins from other settlements which enable us to relive the history and habits of the ancient inhabitants of Maungaroa, where bloody battles were fought and where generations of natives lived until the 1820s, when Christian colonisation led to the site being abandoned.
- At the end of the visit, we head to the Learning Centre. Here, we are offered some refreshments to seal the bond established with this charming faraway land.
What you need to know
- Minimum age: 12 years. *This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems or wheelchair users.
- There is limited availability of Italian speaking guides; if none are available, the excursion will be conducted in English.