NATURAL MARVELS OF ALWICK GARDEN
Let us immerse ourselves in the botanical marvels of the fabulous Alnwick Garden overlooked by a majestic castle and appreciate the perfect combination of natural and skilful man-made scenery.
What we will see
- Sightseeing tour of Northumberland
- Medieval town of Alnwick
- Norman castle
- Guided tour of Alnwick Garden
- Rose Garden, Ornamental Garden and Poison Garden
- Grand Cascade
- Free walk
What we will do
- We leave the port of Newcastle behind us and head on an interesting sightseeing tour of Northumberland, a region with a long fascinating history and characterised by panoramas of unparalleled beauty filled with castles, cobbled alleyways and large beaches.
- We head north to the Medieval town of Alnwick, an elegant maze of narrow cobbled alleyways where time seems to have stopped.
- It is dominated by the Norman Alnwick castle, residence of the Dukes of Northumberland ever since the early 14th century.
- The destination of our excursion is Alnwick Garden, which surrounds the castle and was brought back to life by the current Duchess.
- We stroll along this enchanted place designed to surprise and entertain with water features, lovely paths, a maze and one of the largest tree houses in the world.
- Together with our guide, we visit the main sections of the garden such as the lovely Rose Garden, home to 800 different rose varieties*, the majestic* Ornamental Garden with over 15,000 plants and the peculiar Poison Garden where some of the most toxic plants in the world are grown.
- We also admire the Grand Cascade, a masterpiece made up of 120 separate jets gushing over 30,000 litres of water collected by 21 tanks.
- After our guided tour, we have some free time available to explore the garden at our own leisure before returning to the ship.
What you need to know
- A special scooter and itineraries for wheelchair users are available at Alnwick Garden.