VISIT TO THE HISTORIC CITY OF DURHAM
We visit a fantastic city that has retained its Medieval charm to see the historic city centre, fabulous Norman cathedral and imposing castle, all of which declared UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
What we will see
- Angel of the North
- Durham historic city centre
- Durham cathedral
- Norman castle
- Rural scenery between Durham and Newcastle
What we will do
- We leave Newcastle by coach and head out of the city where we stop to take a few pictures of the extraordinary Angel of the North, a modern sculpture towering over the surrounding scenery at 20 metres tall.
- We then continue our short transfer to the city of Durham, located on a hill almost entirely surrounded by River Wear.
- Once there, we go on a walking tour of the centre, a maze of steep cobbled alleyways declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Together with our guide, we visit the magnificent Durham cathedral a monumental church which is a masterpiece of the Anglo-Norman Romanesque style.
- Across the Palace Green, we can admire imposing Durham castle, also dating back to Norman times and now seat of the third oldest university in England after Oxford and Cambridge.
- The time has come to go back to our ship, and we do it driving through the charming countryside between Durham and Newcastle once brimming with coal mines, to which the city owed large part of its development in Modern times.
What you need to know
- This tour does not include a visit to the castle interior.
- This excursion involves long walks, including a 20 minute walk to reach the cathedral. It is therefore not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Taking photos inside the cathedral is not permitted.