HIGHLANDS VIEWS AND GLENCOE VALLEY
We venture into the Highlands among rugged mountain peaks surrounded by landscapes of incredible beauty as far as the magnificent valley of Glencoe, where nature reigns supreme.
What we will see
- Loch Awe *Brander Pass and Rannoch Moor
- Glencoe Valley
- Glencoe Visitor Centre
What we will do
- We leave Oban behind us and drive along Loch Awe, a lovely lake with melancholic yet romantic atmosphere surrounded by hills covered in moors.
- We drive over Brander Pass and along the scenic road taking us to the remote and surreal Rannoch Moor, a large stretch of moors, heather fields swept by the wind.
- We stop for photos at the top to capture the incredible panorama before us.
- We finally reach Glencoe valley, which enchanted famous poets and writers as well as countless casual travellers. The valley is surrounded by mountains, whose towering peaks are framed by clouds and steep slopes are covered in heather and low vegetation.
- Despite its outstanding beauty, the valley had a tumultuous past, as it was the scene of a bloody massacre occurred in the 17th century that saw the Campbell clan massacred the MacDonald clan that had sought refuge here.
- We move on to the Glencoe Visitor Centre to see the “Living on the Edge” exhibition, thanks to which we learn more about the history of the valley.
- We continue to admire the lovely setting as we return to Oban along a picturesque winding road along the banks of Loch Linnhe.