WALKING AROUND THE FABULOUS POWERSCOURT GARDENS
We visit an amazing noble residence as we take a stroll around its lovely garden, which holds the 3rd place in National Geographic's Top Ten of the most beautiful gardens in the world. We then tour the interior to discover its airy elegant rooms.
What we will see
- County Wicklow
- Powerscourt Estate
- Stroll around Powerscourt Gardens
- Tour of Powerscourt House
What we will do
- We leave the city of Dublin behind us on a coach and head south towards County Wicklow, a lush paradise surrounded by wild nature.
- Our destination is Powerscourt Estate, one of the most sumptuous and charming noble residences on the island, built in 1740 by Powerscourt Viscount Richard Wingfield.
- Once there, we take a stroll around the magnificent Powerscourt Gardens, covering 20 hectares with their manicured greenery including lovely wooded areas and grandiose boulevards, ancient statues and carefully-shaped bushes, gushing fountains and scenic lakes.
- The gardens and residence were clearly designed with Italy in mind, as Lord Powerscourt frequently visited the country’s main noble residences: the stone terrace is a tribute to Villa Butera in Sicily, while the fountain at the centre of Triton Lake is reminiscent to that in Piazza Barberini in Rome.
- We also have the chance to visit Powerscourt House, the fantastic residence at the centre of the gardens, where we can take in the magnificent halls and retrace the history of the house, damaged by a fire in 1974 and patiently restored.
- After the visit, we can go to a crafts and souvenir shop selling clothing, jewellery, furnishings and gifts before returning to the ship having enjoyed an unforgettable experience.