THE COLONIAL SPLENDOUR OF BASSETERRE AND A MAGNIFICENT HISTORIC ESTATE
The island’s enchanting colonial past comes back to live in this fascinating excursion through the picturesque city of Basseterre as far as an extraordinary historic estate where time seems to have stopped thanks to the perfectly-preserved elegant interior and lush tropical gardens with century-old trees - everything contributes to helping us relive an ancient splendour.
What we will see
- Sightseeing tour of Bassetterre
- Victorian and Georgian colonial architecture
- Berkeley Memorial and Independence Square
- Visit to Fairview Great House
- Tour of the colonial interior
- Stroll around the residence’s tropical gardens
What we will do
- Together with our guide, we go on a sightseeing tour of Basseterre, capital of the island of St. Kitts and oldest city in the eastern Caribbean where we can admire its perfectly-preserved colonial heritage.
- Along the way, we pass by numerous examples of Victorian and Georgian architecture such as the Berkeley Memorial, a Victorian iron fountain clock that has become a symbol of the city, and Independence Square,a large garden-square surrounded by elegant Georgian buildingsthat used to serve as a slave market.
- We then reach Fairview Great House, where we get off the coach to visit this typical estate in authentic colonial style.
- We walk around the elegant airy rooms including the kitchen, remained intact through the centuries and boasting a large volcanic stone and brick fireplace, and the bathing area with its sun-warmed bath.
- We cross the stone bridge and enter the lush tropical garden that surrounds the estate featuring local plants, palm-trees and fruit trees, most of which are centuries old.
- After our visit, we return to the ship taking with us pleasant memories of this journey into the past of St. Kitts.