THRILLING JEEP EXCURSION IN COLOMBO AND SURROUNDINGS
A thrilling Jeep tour of Colombo with its colonial buildings, large green park and imposing temples ending in an amazing natural reservoir. The freedom of driving on dirt roads surrounded by enchanting bucolic scenery populated by a multitude of birds.
What we will see
- Sightseeing tour of Colombo by Jeep
- Galle Face Green
- Colonial complex with Dutch Hospital and old Town Hall
- Slave Island and Viharamahadevi Park
- Stop for photos at the National Museum
- Gangaramaya Buddhist temple
- Shopping in a souvenir shop
- Off-road tour in the Attidiya Bird Sanctuary
- Jeep tour
- Snacks and beverages
- Send-off gift: video clip of the tour
What we will do
- We get on unmistakeable classic Jeeps and drive along the streets of Colombo and the dirt roads not far from the city.
- We start our excursion with a sightseeing tour of Colombo, capital of Sri Lanka and a mixture of the multiple identities that coexist in the country.
- Along the way, we can admire some of the city’s main monuments including Galle Face Green, a long grassy stretch along the seaside, the large complex of the Dutch Hospital, built in the early 17th century and wonderfully restored to host shops, cafés and restaurants , and the old town hall dating back to 1865 when the country was under British colonial rule.
- We reach Colombo’s port area and drive through the historic Slave Island quarter, once almost entirely surrounded by water and where the Dutch kept the slaves in colonial times, and continue towards Viharamahadevi Park, the largest green area in the city meticulously restored with paths, flowerbeds and play areas.
- We stop for a few photos at the imposing National Museum, a white elegant colonial building that stands out against the green flowerbeds that surround it.
- We continue our Jeep tour and drive past the colossal Gangaramaya, the largest Buddhist temple in the city commemorating the birth, illumination and death of Buddha.
- We stop by a souvenir shop to purchase a few mementos to take home to our family and friends.
- We get out of the city and proceed towards the Attidiya Bird Sanctuary, a wetland where many bird species prosper and where we can finally test our Jeep on dirt roads.
- In the reservoir, we can experience the thrill of getting behind the wheel and scamper along the roads in a true adventure!
- On the way back, there are plenty of beverages and snacks to choose from, including bottled water, juices and soft drinks and, before getting back to our ship, we are handed a fantastic HD video clip of the tour.