THRILLING URBAN TREK TO DISCOVER THE GENOA FORTRESSES
Nature excursion, Cultural, Lunch not included
A fantastic excursion along the Genoa walls with a thrilling urban trek - a new tourism, less structured and off the beaten track: scenic paths lead to discovering the majestic fortresses erected to defend the city.
What we will see
- Funicular railway ride on the mountains behind Genoa
- Trek along the defensive walls
- Forte Sperone
- Forte Puin
- Way of the "neviere"
- Forte Castellaccio
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us and walk to the Zecca lower station in the heart of the city centre, where we get on the historical Zecca-Righi funicular: we take our seat on the red car and climb the Genoa mountains to the upper station offering picture-perfect views of the city.
- We continue on foot following an old path along the 17th-century walls as far as Forte Sperone, the ultimate fortress erected where the two sections of the Genoa defensive walls meet overlooking the city and the sea.
- Our trek then takes us to Forte Puin, one of the best preserved among the forts that made up Genoa's 19th-century defensive system. From its bastions we take in the entire wall complex and the views are so extensive that it is currently used as a lookout for fires.
- The path winds its way along the so-called way of the “neviere”, conical wells four to five metres deep used in winter to collect water and in summer to keep food cool.
- We finally reach Forte Castellaccio, part of the “Mura Nuove” (New Walls) defending the city and made up of a single ring of bastions, two barracks and Torre Specola.
- From here, we return to the funicular railway and to the city centre and make our way to the ship.
What you need to know
- Minimum age: 6 years.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with limited mobility.