TRAIN TOUR OF CHARMING MARSEILLES
A fun excursion on a train along the streets of Marseilles, a city with a surprising charm that offers us panoramic corners and intriguing views of its most enchanting buildings with an opportunity to stop off in the city centre at the end of the tour for those who would like to.
What we will see
- Train tour of Marseilles
- City cathedral, known as La Major
- Futuristic MuCEM building
- Fort Saint-Jean and old port
- La Canebière, the city’s main street
- Stop in the city centre and return to the port by shuttle, or return by train and Le Panier district
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us and get on a train to discover the incredible city of Marseilles, a lively cosmopolitan city with ancient historic roots where we can breathe in an authentic Mediterranean atmosphere.
- As we listen to the commentary along the way, enabling us to discover so many curiosities and interesting information, we can admire the port area and the new business district and then drive by the city cathedral known as La Major, an imposing scenic church built in the Byzantine Revival style.
- We spot the nearby futuristic MuCEM building, a modern complex “made of stone, water and wind” hosting the Museum of the Civilizations of Europe and the Mediterranean.
- Our fun train continues to the enchanting Fort Saint-Jean, a majestic fortress overlooking the sea and dating back to the 17th century, and crossing the Old Port district, the hub of the city with its elegant hotels, seafront cafés and exquisitely French fish restaurants.
- We then drive along some of Marseilles’ typical streets and stop in the city centre where we can choose how to end our excursion.
- Those wishing to explore this lovely city further can bid farewell to the train and enjoy a leisurely stroll around before returning to the port using the shuttle service.
- Alternatively, it is possible to remain on the train and continue towards the ship through the old Le Panier quarter, the true historic city centre featuring workshops and lively colourful cafés.