ALL ABOUT ELBA!
Sea, history, folklore and charming scenery are the perfect ingredients for an excursion where we are totally free to explore: every participant can decide how much time to spend in each place, be it Lacona beach, the village of Porto Azzurro and Capoliveri. A new way to discover the incredible island of Elba from different perspectives.
What we will see
- Lacona beach and its natural beauty
- Porto Azzurro, a typical fishing village
- Rich historical and natural heritage
- Capoliveri historic centre with its boutiques, restaurants and breathtaking views
What we will do
- We will take a coach to Lacona beach, the second biggest on the island, which forms a golden arch on the island’s main gulf, spanning almost 3 km, not far from Capoliveri. From here we can glimpse the island of Montecristo on the horizon, a state nature reserve and integral part of the Tuscan Archipelago National Park. Facing south, the fine golden sand and surrounding nature make Lacona the perfect location for a relaxing day by the sea.
- We will set off towards Porto Azzurro, a typical fishing village home to Longone Fort, also known as San Giacomo fort, built in the 17th century by King Philip III of Spain to defend the territory. Originally called Porto Longone because of the long shape of the port, this municipality in Elba changed its name after the Second World War when tourism developed on the island and because the inhabitants wanted a name that did not evoke the gloomy fortress that had meanwhile become a prison. Despite the presence of the prison, throughout the fifties and sixties Porto Azzurro began to promote its historical and natural heritage, which still attracts thousands of Italian and foreign tourists, and which we will have the chance to discover on this excursion.
- Our excursion will continue to our third stop, Capoliveri. This delightful Elban village, one of the oldest on the island, lies perched on a hill 167 metres above sea level. With past agricultural and mining links, today the municipality of Capoliveri is famous for its elite atmosphere, folklore events (including the famous Grape Festival), breathtaking views and the numerous outdoor activities on offer. We will discover its beautiful ancient urban charm, its squares and Medieval alleyways with archways called chiassi, and we will marvel at the incredible views of the sea and the other islands in the Tuscan Archipelago. Then we can indulge in some shopping in its exclusive boutiques or maybe try a few Elban specialities in one of the best restaurants on the island.
What you need to know
- The duration of this excursion depends on the time that guests decide to spend at each stop.?