WHERE NATURE MEETS HISTORY: AJACCIO AND THE TURTLE SANCTUARY
Nature excursion, Drink included
We now immerse ourselves in Corsican nature with a visit to the well-known turtle sanctuary, before continuing towards the capital to admire some of its more famous sites.
What we will see
- Turtle Sanctuary
- Ajaccio: Cours Napoléon, Place de Gaulle, Cours Grandval and Place d'Austerlitz
- Baroque Cathedral and old Genoese district
What we will do
- Accompanied by our tour guide, we make our way by coach to the famous "A Cupulatta" Turtle Sanctuary (cupulatta is the Corsican name for this extraordinary reptile).
- During our drive through the splendid Corsican countryside, we admire the fragrant Mediterranean maquis and the many landscapes of this enchanting island, rightly known as a mountain in the sea.
- We visit the sanctuary, surrounded by green vegetation and home to at least 130 different species of turtles and tortoises, including Corsica's very own species, Testudo hermanni (Hermann's tortoise). We will be offered a very welcome refreshing drink.
- Our excursion continues towards the capital Ajaccio, famous as the birthplace of Napoleon. Once we reach the city centre, we take a pleasant walk along Cours Napoléon as far as the Place de Gaulle with its bronze statue dedicated to the Emperor and his four brothers.
- We continue along Cours Grandval towards Place d'Austerlitz, where we stop to admire an imposing replica of the statue of Napoleon, in Les Invalides in Paris, commemorating all his major victories and conquests.
- Lastly, we return to the centre where we visit the Baroque Cathedral and discover the secrets of the city's old Genoese colony. Our tour guide will walk with us back to our ship, moored approximately 300 metres from the city centre.