MARSEILLE AND ITS HIDDEN TREASURES
Sightseeing, Cultural, Shopping, Tasting
An excursion for those who want to discover the hidden treasures and secrets of Marseille, a millennial melting pot of people and cultures, a city of indisputable charm and a distinct identity that draws visitors in with its magical atmosphere.
What we will see
- Cathedral of Notre Dame de la Garde and Church of Saint-Laurent
- "Le Panier" quarter
- Vieille Charité and Cathedral of Sainte Marie Majeure (external visits)
What we will do
- We leave from the left-hand side of the port and begin our tour of Marseille with a visit to the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de la Garde which is at the highest point of the city at an altitude of 162 m above sea level, from where we can see the whole of Marseille laid out before us.
- We will then make our way to the Church of Saint-Laurent, a handsome example of Provençal Romanesque architecture, built in pink stone from Couronne, with splendid views of the Old Port.
- It also marks the beginning of the quarter known as "Le Panier" ("the basket"), which is one of the oldest quarters of Marseille and the old heart of the city. It owes its name to the "Le Logis du Panier" inn, an old establishment dating back to the 17th century. This part of the city is a typical Mediterranean port neighbourhood with the fronts of houses painted in a variety of colours and narrow winding streets. Historically a favoured haunt of sailors, it is now one of Marseille's most characteristic areas.
- Following a visit to La Vieille Charité - originally an almshouse for the city's poor, now home to a cultural centre and a venue for temporary exhibitions - we have the opportunity to try a local speciality, the "navette" ("little boat"), a traditional biscuit flavoured with orange blossoms that is baked in the shape of a boat.
- After a short break, close to La Vieille Charité, we pay a short visit to the Neo-Byzantine Cathedral of Saint-Marie-Majeure -also known by the locals as "La Major" - before heading back to the port.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- This excursion involves some walking. We recommend wearing appropriate footwear and comfortable clothing.