CARTAGENA - RELIVING THE GLORIES OF THE PAST
Plunge into Cartagena's archaeological, historical and monumental heritage and relive the splendour of its glorious past.
What we will see
- Cartagena, city centre
- Roman Theatre and Roman Theatre Museum
- Charles III Rampart
- City Hall Square
- High Street
- Punic Wall
What we will do
- Our excursion will reveal the main attractions of Cartagena , whose origins date back to 223 A.D. and which still retains the historical and architectural wonders built under Roman, Muslim and Arabic rule.
- Let us plunge into history and go back to Roman times by visiting the magnificent Roman Theatre , which was discovered through archaeological excavations and is one of the most amazing discoveries made in the city. It was built between 5 and 1 BC and is a testimony to the importance of Nova Carthago in ancient Hispania. It was located in one of the most run down parts of the city, but its rescue at the beginning of the 2000s contributed to restoring the splendour of the entire area.
- Breathe in the charm of this place rich in history and surrounded by some of the most emblematic buildings of the city - the amazing Cathedral, the Consistorial Palace, the Medieval Castle and the harbour.
- After visiting the Roman Theatre, we will enter the Museum that displays the artefacts found during the excavations. Some explanatory panels show us how the theatre was restored - a truly amazing work.
- We will then leave the Museum and walk towards Charles III Rampart to enjoy the fantastic views of the harbour. and reach the City Hall square and the High Street , scattered with magnificent modernist buildings dating back to the early 1800s.
- Before leaving Cartagena, we will visit the renowned "Punic Wall" archaeological site, which contains the remains of the ancient walls built by the Carthaginians to protect the city.
What you need to know
Space is limited, so please reserve early.