VALENCIA AND THE ALBUFERA: RURAL ART AND TRADITION - with lunch
Cultural, Meal included
Valencia: from Gothic and Baroque charm to the scents and colours of the rural scenery, through alleyways steeped in history to the paddy fields of Albufera. A journey that will take us to the traditional core of a city balancing between majestic classicism and rural heritage.
What we will see
- Gran Vía, Bull ring, Lonja
- Plaza Redonda, Santa Catalina, Miguelete tower, Cathedral
- IVAM (Modern Art Museum), Serranos Towers
- A barraca
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Valencia by coach and embark on a sightseeing tour of the city. We will cross the river to join Gran Vía and then Calle Játiva, where we can admire the bull ring and the central train station from the outside.
- Then we will continue on towards the city centre where we will get off the coach and continue on foot to the liberty-style building housing the Central Market and the Gothic palace housing the Lonja, the old silk exchange that has now been declared a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Our tour will continue along Calle Entrench and onto Plaza Redonda (Round Square) with its typical shops, and will end at Santa Catalina church, including Miguelete Tower, the Gothic bell tower dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, and the cathedral, which we will see from the outside and have plenty of time to immortalise on camera.
- Our next stop will be the El Carmen district, where we will see La Beneficència cultural centre, the Valencian Institute of Modern Art and the Serranos Towers, an example of 14th-century military architecture declared a national historical and artistic monument.
- Finally, we will head to La Albufera, a national park situated south of Valencia, where we will enjoy an interesting boat ride through the unusual marshland landscape, an extremely important nature reserve with animals and plants and the perfect place to cultivate rice, the main ingredient in the famous Valencian paella.
- After the boat tour which will show us a barraca (a traditional farmers' dwelling in the area with a steep, sloping roof) we will arrive at a restaurant to sample a delicious typical lunch, after which we will return to the ship by coach.
What you need to know
- When one of the churches is being used for religious ceremonies, our tour will be limited to the exterior of the building.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- You must be healthy enough to climb on board the boat on your own or with a minimum amount of help.