A tour of the picturesque historic centre of Lisbon, including the Praça do Comércio, considered by many to be the most beautiful square in Europe, the elegant districts of Belém and Restelo, and the Jerónimos Monastery.
What we will see
- Praça do Comércio
- Rossio (Dom Pedro IV Square)
- Praça dos Restauradores
- Avenida da Liberdade
- Parque Eduardo VII
- District of Belém and residential area of Restelo: Jerónimos Monastery, Belém Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries
What we will do
- A city of contrasts blending modern and classic architecture, Lisbon is bathed in extraordinary light that accentuates the variety and intensity of its colours. The capital of Portugal boasts a wealth of unmissable locations: Praça do Comércio, considered by many to be the most beautiful square in Europe; the Rossio, the name commonly given to Dom Pedro IV Square, the beating heart of the city from where all the main streets fan out; Praça dos Restauradores, the square created to commemorate the liberation of Portugal from Spanish rule in 1640, featuring an obelisk on which the dates of the Portuguese Restoration are marked; Avenida da Liberdade, considered to be the most luxurious street in Lisbon with its fountains and the abstract designs on its pavements, where once only members of high society were permitted to walk; and Parque Eduardo VII, one of the city's largest green spaces, which was created in the late 19th century and named after the British King, Edward VII.
- During the excursion we also have some free time to take a walk in the centre.
- We then stop in the Belém district and the residential area of Restelo, where we visit the Jerónimos Monastery.
- The tour ends with a photostop to the Belém Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries, which was built in 1960 to mark the five hundredth anniversary of the death of Henry the Navigator and to celebrate the geographical discoveries made by Portuguese navigators from the 15th century onwards.
What you need to know
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- On Mondays the visit to the Jerónimos Monastery will be substituted with a visit to the Ajuda Palace.