MONTE AND CAMACHA BY CABLE CAR
Sightseeing, Shopping, Lunch not included
A tour during which, from the headland of Ponta do Garajau, we descend, first to discover wicker production in Camacha and then the centre of Funchal, with its handicraft shops, before climbing back up to Monte and its wonderful botanical gardens.
What we will see
- Ponta do Garajau
- Christ the King Statue
- Funchal Centre, with a visit to a local handicraft shop and typical wine tasting
What we will do
- Leaving the port, we will head towards the east coast, where Funchal began its expansion. Here we will stop at the Ponta do Garajau headland, known for its Christ the King statue, which stands with arms open towards the sea. It offers a great panoramic view of Funchal city and Garajau Park.
- We will then head for Camacha, the island's centre for wicker production. Here, surprised by the beauty of the town, whose square is entirely decorated with flowers, we discover the fascinating secrets of artisan processes and all kinds of wicker articles.
- Once in Funchal, we will stop off at a local handicraft shop, where we can admire a range of typical lace products and taste the unmissable wines produced using the renowned local Madeira vine variety, thanks to which the island has achieved worldwide fame.
- We will take a cable car up to Monte, which offers a spectacular view. An evocative spot located at 660 metres above sea level, Monte is known not only for its wonderful subtropical gardens, but also because its church houses the remains of Charles I, the last emperor of Austria.
What you need to know
- Weather conditions can change quickly and so we recommend you wear suitable clothing.
- The itinerary may be subject to change.
- The cable car can be taken to go up rather than down or vice versa.
- the cable car is a popular attraction; you may encounter a delay.