DISCOVERING KRITSÀ, AGIOS NIKOLAOS AND KNOSSOS
Cultural, Shopping, Meal included
A unique chance to discover the most authentic side of Crete and its natural, historic and architectural wonders, and to take a trip into its glorious history, visiting the remains of the Palace of Knossos, a symbol of the age during which the Cretan civilization was at its most magnificent.
What we will see
- Kritsà and Panagia Kera church
- Agios Nikolaos
- Palace of Knossos
What we will do
- We leave the port and head towards Kritsà, a picturesque village perched on mount Dikti and home to architectonic works of rare beauty, such as the church of Panagia Kera, which dates to the 13th century and is renowned for its wonderful frescos. Here we admire the scenes of the Second Coming set in Hell and in Paradise and we also see a very rare depiction of Saint Francis of Assisi together with the Saints of the Orthodox calendar.
- Exiting the church, we take one of the narrow streets that lead to the heart of the village, an area full of small shops selling very traditional articles, such as the famous fabrics with lace and crochet details.
- We leave Kritsà to visit another of Crete's pearls: Agios Nikolaos, a renowned tourist town with a beautiful seafront where we have time to walk and explore the small shops or take a break at one of the many open-air cafés.
- We then head west where we will dive into history and mythology. Our visit concludes in beautiful surroundings at the excavation site of the famous Palace of Knossos, linked to the Minos myth due to its labyrinthine structure. Situated on the top of a hill, from which we enjoy a breathtaking view of the place where the city once stood, the palace is an important testament to a civilization dating back to 3000 BC, an age in which the great King Minos reigned. Brought to light thanks to excavations by Sir Arthur Evans, the palace is one of Greece's most important archaeological sites. We visit the throne room, the storerooms, the central court and the imposing stairway, architectonic wonders that testify to the splendour of the island's glorious Minoan past.
What you need to know
- The excursion involves walking for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. We therefore recommended wearing comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This tour is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.