THE ENCHANTING PALACE OF KNOSSOS AND HERAKLION CITY CENTRE
An unforgettable trip to discover the melting pot of art and history that is the island of Crete, which will amaze us with the remains of Knossos and the historic and architectonic wonders of Heraklion.
What we will see
- Palace of Knossos
- Heraklion, shopping
What we will do
- Crete is not only the largest of Greece's islands, it is also a treasure chest of history, art and culture. Our excursion can therefore only begin at the extraordinary Knossos excavations.
- Situated on the top of a hill, from which we enjoy a breathtaking view of the place where the city once stood, the palace is an important testament to a civilization that dates back to 3000 BC. Brought to light thanks to excavations by Sir Arthur Evans, the palace is one of Greece's most important archaeological sites. We will visit the throne room, the storerooms, the central court and the imposing stairway, reliving the myth of Minos. It is believed that the palace is linked to the myth of the labyrinth and the Minotaur due to the number of rooms it possessed (probably more than 1000 originally).
- On our return trip, we will stop at Heraklion, the main town of the region of the same name and a cultural and economic centre, enriched with ancient palaces, connecting squares and architectonic works daring back to the Venetian and Ottoman dominations. Our guide will show us every corner of this fascinating city, where modernity and tradition coexist in perfect harmony.
- Before returning to the port, we will have time to do a little shopping and take a walk in this modern city.
What you need to know
- This excursion involves some walking. We recommend wearing appropriate footwear and comfortable clothing.
- This tour is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.?