SIGHTS AND FLAVOURS OF MYKONOS
Let the beautiful landscape of Mykonos bewitch you with its dream beaches and villages that are steadfastly anchored to their traditions. The main town is surprisingly cosmopolitan, yet at the same time picturesque. Here we discover the flavours of this enchanting Cycladic island.
What we will see
- Beaches of Agios Ioannis and Ornos (panoramic tour)
- Ano Mera and the monastery of Panagia Tourliani
- Town of Mykonos, Little Venice, windmills and tasting with local specialities
What we will do
- We leave the jetty and head for the wonderful beach of Agios Ioannis. During the journey, we can admire Ornos beach, one of the most beautiful in Mykonos, spangled with luxury hotels and night clubs and yachts anchored off the coast. In the background lies the island of Delo, the birthplace of Apollo according to the myth.
- We leave the coast and penetrate into the hinterland of the island to visit the village of Ano Mera, which has firmly held on to its traditions. Here we can admire the famous Monastery of Panagia Tourliani from outside. Our guide will explain how it was built by the monks in 1542 and that it is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. We cannot fail to take a few photos to remind us of the fascinating architecture of this enchanting monastery, its fabulous marble fountain and its spectacular bell tower.
- After our taste of Greek rural life, we return to Mykonos, where we begin our tour on foot along the narrow streets flanked by whitewashed houses. It is easy to see how the labyrinthine layout of the town was purposely studied to confuse invading pirates.
- Another must is a visit to one of the most characteristic districts of the town: Little Venice, a name that it acquired because of the striking resemblance of its urban layout to the famous lagoon town. We then proceed towards the famous windmills, that have now become a symbol of the island, creating a splendid panorama full of charm.
- Our visit ends in an old taverna, where we can savour some of the flavours of this unique island with a tasting* prepared with delicious, local specialities*.
- After the tasting, we have a chance to do some shopping.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.