THE ENCHANTING ISLAND OF DELO
In ancient times, Delo was considered the most sacred island in Greece as it was the birthplace of the god Apollo and the goddess Artemis. Nowadays, the island is an open-air museum with a priceless, and surprising, archaeological heritage.
What we will see
- Island of Delo
- Archaeological site and museum
What we will do
- We set sail in the direction of the heart of the Cyclades to visit what was considered in ancient times to be the most sacred island in Greece: the island of Delo. According to mythology, this tiny island is where Apollo, the god of music, light, harmony and beauty was born. Pilgrims from around the Aegean Sea would come to Delo to worship Apollo and offer him their prayers and gifts. The Athenians passed a decree 2,500 years ago, proclaiming that it was forbidden to be born or to die on the island, because birth and death were considered to be a terrible desecration of the land that had given birth to two important deities.
- The island was also a major trading centre, especially during the Roman era, and today we can still admire archaeological evidence of its glorious past. At the beginning of the 19th century, remains of the ancient town were discovered on the island, including the famous marble lions of Naxos, three temples dedicated to Apollo and houses with splendid mosaic floors. Mount Cinto, where the oldest remains dating back to the third millennium BC were found, towers over the ruins of the town: a heart-warming sight.
- We end our island tour with a visit to the island museum, with its fascinating, precious collections of marble statues, finely decorated ceramics, objects of daily life and jewellery found in private homes of the period.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- The excursion involves a long walk, therefore we recommend you wear comfortable shoes and a hat for protection from the sun.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests who suffer from seasickness or guests with mobility problems.
- Our excursion ends back at the port. In the event that the berthing place in the port is distant from the town centre, any additional service to reach the town at the end of the excursion is not included.