EXPERIENCE - EPIDAURUS AND THE FORTRESS OF PALAMIDI
We set off to discover two of the jewels of the Peloponnese: ancient Epidaurus, a charming place that boasts a wealth of archaeological treasures, and the Fortress of Palamidi, a masterpiece of military architecture.
What we will see
- Epidaurus, archaeological site
- Nafplio, Fortress of Palamidi
What we will do
- Leaving the port behind us, we set off by coach on the picturesque winding road that goes through typical rural Greek villages on the way to Epidaurus, a town in the region of Argolis that lies on the cool slopes of a valley covered with lush vegetation. It is likely that the town's founders, inspired by the idyllic location and their belief in the hidden virtues of plants and water, dedicated the area to Asclepius, the god of medicine, who according to legend could heal the sick and revive the dead. But Epidaurus is also famous for the wonderful theatre built here in the 4th century BC, which is renowned for its superb acoustics. Theatre performances are held in this beautiful setting even today.
- We leave this place that is so rich in history, art and beauty and return to reality. We proceed towards Nafplio to visit the magnificent Palamidi Castle, an imposing hilltop fortress that was built by the Venetians in the 18th century. The fortress, subsequently conquered by the Turks, was used until recently as a prison. With its independent bastions, the fortress is a true masterpiece of military architecture. Before returning to the port, we take a last look at the sea and the beautiful landscape: a feast for the eyes and the soul.
What you need to know
- The excursion involves walking over rough terrain. We therefore recommend you wear shoes you can walk in comfortably.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.