MELISSANI LAKE, MONASTERY OF ST. GERASIMOS AND ROBOLA WINERY
Nature excursion, Cultural, Tasting
Kefalonia, a land rich in history, is an island just waiting to be discovered: we will allow the evocative atmosphere of the Melissani Lake to wrap around us, before immersing ourselves in the island culture and tasting its renowned wines.
What we will see
- Mount Ainos
- Melissani Lake
- Fragata and the Monastery of St. Gerasimos
- Robola winery and wine tasting
What we will do
- Our coach will leave the port of Argostoli and head for Mount Ainos, the most beautiful mountain on the island, to reach one of the most stunning subterranean lakes in the world: the Melissani Lake in the village of Karavomilos.
- Our guide will accompany us in our discovery of this immensely suggestive place. A short walk through a tunnel brings us to the underground lake. Here we climb aboard a little wooden boat, which will allow us to admire the lake and the surrounding caves: a true masterpiece of nature!
- After this exciting visit, we continue towards Fragata, a village with deep-rooted traditions. This area is a destination for pilgrims, as the Monastery of St. Gerasimos, patron saint of Kefalonia, stands here. We will visit the monastery, which houses the saint's relics, and its underground crypt.
- This part of Kefalonia is well-known for a famous wine: Robola. So a stop at the Robola winery to discover how this famous local wine is produced is a must, and we will also get a chance to sample it during a delicious tasting.
What you need to know
- The planned panoramic itinerary includes a number of curves and hairpin bends.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.